Big Screen EPG v1.5a Beta Available (with Win8CP Support)
It’s been a while between releases – however the new version of Media Center (in Windows 8 Consumer Preview) warranted some new releases for Big Screen EPG . As the new version of Media Center is different (under the hood but not above it) – the existing Windows 7 version was broken and needed to be updated.
For Windows 7 users – I developed this with the original users in mind too – so have released updates for both Windows 7 + Windows 8 (which both have all the new enhancements).
You can grab the download now from : http://bigscreenglobal.com/bgproductdownload.aspx?PID=BSEV1 – assuming you are a registered Big Screen EPG user (otherwise you can sign up for the trial and get access that way).
This new v1.5a release provides the following enhancements / new features :
- (Optional) Windows 8 CP Support for both x32+x64 versions (and like will support final release of Windows 8). A separate replacement .exe is provided for this platform (see install notes).All EPG and related features of Big Screen EPG in Windows 7 are now working with Big Screen EPG on Windows 8 (including support for increasing the default number of tuners) – however do note there are some problems with Win8 CP itself (see release notes) with regards to Scheduled Tasks and Network shares.
- New Online updating TV Series Database: The new version will now download ‘metadata files’ for tv series – so you can get the latest updates without having to get a new version of Big Screen EPG. The new database has 2500+ new tv shows + artwork including 2012/2011 titles (and available for download after you install the new version).
- New UI to make increasing number of tuners much easier – previously was a command line option only :
- Enhanced Metro(ish) style User Interface – this is still a work in progress – but I’ve tried (where doable) to enhance the UI to use metro style buttons and layout. There’s a few bits which still look a little ugly.Here’s the new start page for example :
- Some Bug fixes :- Fixed Support for following XMLTV providers :
- Schedules Direct sources now properly parses the Episode ID.
- Added additional support for xmltv_ns with extraction of ‘Part’ numbers
ie. “2 . 23 . 0/2 “ + “2 . 23 . 1/2
- Fixed Add Provider Wizard bug where it was ignoring selection of Enabled/Disabled Channels – plus enhanced some other logic (such as supporting server based presets without passwords).
The new beta release is exactly that (a beta) – so please be sure to not do anything mission critical with it. To use it – you will still need the original setup package (this new version is only provided as a patch at this time).
It’s been tested locally – but may need some more work for release (as well as requiring a proper standalone setup package).